Monday, September 3, 2012

Canning

It's canning time again.  Time to put up and process all the fresh produce that has been growing in my garden or in anybody else's garden for that matter.  Once people hear that you can, then they are calling you up trying to pawn off all of their extra produce on you.  We will eat it so I take whatever I am handed.

Today was I busy canning tomatoes, peaches, salsa and relish.  Apples were on the agenda but that got tabled til tomorrow. 
Last month I was up to my ears in cucumbers, banana peppers, green beans, carrots and zucchini.  We figured that I  purchased over ten gallons of vinegar last month.  I ended up using all of my canning jars just on pickles and beans.  (I freeze the carrots and zucchini.) I had to borrow jars from friends to do my peaches and tomatoes.  I have about two dozen more jars left, but I have a feeling that won't be enough. I will have to beg, borrow, or purchase some more.  The tomatoes I processed today aren't even from my garden.  My garden is just now starting to produce tomatoes and not enough to drag out the canner.  Typically, I have to pick my tomatoes before they turn, pack them into boxes with newspaper and a quartered apple and wait for them to ripen in my garage.  We will see how this year goes. 

Canning days are long days but seeing all of those colorful jars in my pantry and knowing that my family will have good, healthy food this winter makes it worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment