Thursday, September 1, 2011

Still Going Strong

We have now completed days 3 and 4 and still going strong.  There are a few kinks to work out with our science.  I sat down with the dvd yesterday and finally got a handle on how it all works.  The kids are to read the module and do the experiments and the "on your own" questions first.  Then they are to pull up the lecture on the dvd to listen to a more indepth discussion of the module.  I also found the notes to print out so that they while the kids listen they can take notes.  There was some mutinous looks at first when I fully understood the dvd.  The kids did not like the idea of listening to a lecture, but I explained to them that this is part of their training.  They need to be prepared for the college classroom and this is a great way to start.  Today everyone seemed to be more on board.  I am going to do some more prep for the kids and I think we will jump fully into science on Tuesday.

Other than science, everything else is going great.  My history books are showing up from the library and I have found some great videos  online that link right in with what we are studying.  Bryce is really getting the hang of his phonics program and everyone is eager (at least, not complaining) to do schoolwork.

Today, after completing our group work, we packed lunches, and loaded up our backpacks with workbooks and pencils and headed out to the river.  The kids worked  on their math and language and  then jumped in the river.  It was a lot of fun and a great way to spend the day. 

Now I need to get busy canning pickles and peaches.  Then off to make some goodies for this weekend and clean house.  The Harpers are coming!! Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment