Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Plunge

I joined a weight-loss group!  Two weeks ago we met for an orientation and tonight we have our first official meeting.  I will receive my handbook and cookbook and begin my journey.  I have been trying to lose weight since last spring (2011) and have slowly lost 27 lbs.  My goal is to lose another 20 to 25 lbs but my eating is what I really need to control.  Having a support group, I believe, will help me in this journey.  The particular group that I joined is pretty severe when it comes to losing weight.  They have phases that you go through in changing your eating habits.  Phase One is the most intense as it is designed to break the cravings  that we all struggle with.  The majority of our cravings stem around sweets and breads so for the next 6 weeks I cannot have anything with sugar in it (at least not in the first four ingredients) and also cannot have any breads.  The only carbs I can have right now are brown rice, oatmeal, and....I can't think of anything more.  I actually started wheening myself off all of thses things over a week ago.  Can you imagine the look on my face when a sweet, elderly lady from our church showed up at my door with two dozen glazed donuts, a cake, and a cherry pie for us to eat.  (She didn't want it to go to waste.)  For a whole day all of that sat on my counter, and I didn't eat a thing!  I made my husband take the donuts to school, allowed the boys one slice of cake and then threw it in the trash.  The pie went in the freezer, cause you can do that with pies.  After the first six weeks are up, I will enter Phase Two when they begin to re-introduce carbs like whole wheat breads, etc.  At the orientation meeting, several ladies had gone through this program before. The average weight loss among them was 20 lbs in the first six weeks.  That is encouraging.  So here I go, I officially start tomorrow morning.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment