Friday, October 7, 2011

Jury Duty

Today I did my civic duty and went in for jury duty.  I have to be honest and tell you that I did try to get out of it.  I informed the judge that I am a stay at home mom who homeschools her three children and doesn't know what I am supposed to do with my children, but he said I still had to come in.

I was a bit nervous.  Courtrooms do that to me.  I guess it is the power of the people that work there.  I am scared that they might find something that I am doing wrong. After waiting for an hour, we watched a video on what it means to be a juror and the process you need to go through to get selected.  We were then taken to a courtroom to wait for the judge, plaintiff, and defendant to get ready.  We were then moved to another courtroom to be questioned.  The judge, plaintiff, and the defendant began to ask us questions and asked us to introduce ourselves to make sure we would not be biased and could do our civic duty.  It turns out several people knew the defendant and were very aware of the situation he was being charged of.  And if I might add, I got the definite impression that they didn't like the guy and if given enough info would have no problem declaring him guilty.  They obviously didn't get picked to be on the jury.  It turns out they only needed six people and there was twenty-six of us to pick from.  I was number sixteen on the list and, fortunately for me, they picked six of the first seven people.  After about two and half hours, I was sent home.  Whew.... as relieved as I was, my curiosity was peaked and I wonder what the outcome of the trial was.  I guess I need to get the paper this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment