Saturday, April 23, 2011

Rock Slide


Todd took our family as well as the boys' friend, Dante, and Don and Susan down the Icicle Road to look at the rock slide that occurred about a month ago.
 It is quite an impressive slide.  The road itself has not been damaged but it is covered in a thick layer of mud, rocks, and tree branches.




Boulders the size of VW bugs have been washed down the mountain side.  It seems that the slide hit the road and then decided to follow the path of least resistance down the asphalt road.

Water is pouring down the mountain and down the slide. 


Susan find this really cool rock.  It is shaped just like a recliner.  It even has its own foot stool.  I think if she could talk the road clean up crew into letting her have that rock she would put it in her yard.

You can see the other side of the slide.  The road goes on another eight miles but right now it is closed for obvious reasons. lol


I am not too great with measuring distances but I would say the slide covers about a quarter of a mile.

I thought it was pretty sweet that Brian wanted me to take this picture of him and Bonnie.

After viewing the slide we traveled back down the Icicle and stopped off at the trail head to the Alpine Lakes.  The kids were awed by all the mountain flowers that are in bloom.  We were probably picking endangered flowers but I know you won't tell. shhh!


The Icicle Creek is an awesome sight to behold and a pretty popular camping spot for the tourist.

 Todd took the time to teach the kids a bit of trail etiquette



Can I just say I had a bit of a panic attack when my kids climbed down to take this picture.  I am learning to just hold my breath and close my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment