Monday, November 25, 2013

Bored at Work and other stuff

It is 9:30 am at the office and I am bored!!!  My bulletin is set up for the next Sunday, my songs are arranged for youth group and my office is organized and cleaned.  I guess what I need to do is tear down the Thanksgiving bulletin board and set up the Christmas one. 

Brian is on break waiting for his computer class to start at 10:00 am.  I really don't think he is getting a great education this year.  He can complete a class assignment in 15 minutes (that includes geometry.) A quiz takes about five minutes and a test about 15 - 20 minutes.  Within less than an hour this morning Brian read through his PE assignment, read his geometry and took a quiz, did his English vocabulary and took a science test.  His grades aren't as good as they could be.  He is maintaining a B in just about everything but science.  His science grade is low because in the first month he failed to submit notes from his live class sessions.  However, his test, quiz, and lab scores are on average a "B."  He just couldn't care.  If he did care he could bring all of his grades up to an "A".  Do I recommend WAVA?  It would depend on the child.

Bryce is on break, as well, at the moment.  He completed his math which took him an hour to do. That is pretty normal for him.  My big push for Bryce this year is reading and writing- our two struggle areas.  I am having him write a summary of each chapter he reads for literature.  He just finished Swiss Family Robinson and I have decided his next book is David Copperfield.  He tolerates reading (I can't say "likes"  because he Hates reading) the Great Illustrated Classics mainly because they are large print and he can focus better.  I was in 6th grade when my teacher, Mrs. Carson, had me read the Great Illustrated Classics books.  That is when I fell in love with Alexander Dumas' The Three Musketeers. 

I am excited for the short school week.  I can't wait for Wednesday to roll around.  Thanksgiving morning Todd is participating in Wenatchee's Turkey Run which is a 7k.  I guess that means I will miss the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  : (    After the run, we will head over to my mother-in-law's house for the Thanksgiving meal with all of the family.  Sad to say, but I am a little apprehensive about this year's family gathering.  One of the families is going through a lot of stress right now and I don't know how that is going to impact our time together. I have decided that I am going to have our own Thanksgiving feast with our traditional dishes either Wednesday or Thursday  evening.  I like having all of the leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment