Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Dad's 70th

 It has been six weeks since we celebrated dad's 70th birthday, but I finally got a device that allows me to get the pictures off my phone.  All the family and friends gathered together at my brother's house in Carmel, Indiana. 
 Mom and Laura decided to have a picture of dad from his National Guard days matted and framed and everyone signed it as they came in the door.
 Jim and Laura did a great job with the food.  All kinds of snacks, sandwiches, cakes, and goodies filled the tables.  So much for our diets.  As Jim would say it was a Blow It Day. 

 Dad had a good time.  His sister, Gloria, put together a video of "This Is Your Life."  Gloria and her husband, Weldon, as well as their son, Travis, are big historians.  They have been tracking our family line back to England and Scotland.  Gloria had pictures of dad from when he was a baby til now.  As pictures came up on the scene, stories began to flow.  Jim and I learned a lot about our dad, especially his wild college days. We had a lot of good laughs.
 Several of dad's cousins came over to celebrate, as well as his sister.  Mom's sisters and brother also came.  Several nieces and nephews (my cousins) and old friends made the trip over.
 Pictured here is dad's cousin, Jerry or Butch as everyone calls him and dad's sister, Gloria.
 Standing with my mom is her best friend from high school and college, Karen.  Karen is the one who witnessed to my mom and shared with her the Gospel message.  Karen's family, especially her father, took my mom in and gave her a second home when mom's dad died.  Mom was 14 when that happened.  Karen was a true and faithful friend, and our family feels indebted to her because her witness changed our lives forever.

After the crowd had gone, mom, along with her sister, Patty, Patty's husband, Van, and mom's brother, Charles  had to play a couple of hands of Euchre.  By the end of my trip, they had managed to teach me how to play as well.  It was so good to be with family for that week.  Mom and dad are still considering moving to Indiana. I wouldn't be surprised if they we settled in over there by this time next year.  All of their family with the exception of one sister lives within 30 miles of each other.  It will definitely make it easier for us to see everyone if they all live in the same area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment