Sunday, November 21, 2010

Did I Bite Off Too Much?

Sometimes I wonder what I was thinking when I open my mouth.

Here we are in our new church and already I find myself volunteering to do things that maybe....well....
The Christmas season is coming and I thought it would be great for the kids to put on a Christmas program.  We don't have a lot of kids but enough to do a small production.  Production might be too big of a word.  Presentation might be a better one. 

Basically, the kids are going to act out Luke 2 and Matthew 2.  Susan, my mother in law, will read through the passage and at certain points the kids, dressed in character, will enter the scene and  make their way to the stable which will be on center stage.  A different points in the scripture, we will have the congregation sing Christmas hymns.  I have given the kids verses to memorize for the characters, such as, the angels will say their verses and the shepherds will say theirs. 

It should go over well.  I know the parents are really excited about it all.  The church already has the costumes and I made a barn for VBS this past summer so I feel pretty confident that I can build another one for the stage.  We have most of the materials on hand and I have asked the teens help me to build it.

Today was our first practice and I though it went well.  I have to give a big thank you to Lori Lawing and Karyn Haddox who directed our Shakespeare plays for the past four years in NC.  Watching them direct really helped me to know how to direct this group.

We have three more Sunday morning to practice and hopefully it will go well.  We shall soon see.  If I let myself think about it I get scared that I bit off more than I can chew.  But then I think back to VBS and how I bit off a big project of constructing the VBS props and in the end it turned out so well.  So I figure you never know if you don't try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment