Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Jehovah-Jireh, My Provider


When we realized we were going to be moving to Washington, we knew that meant we would lose all the produce from our garden.  In fact, since we weren't going to be able to harvest from it, I stopped caring about it and turned it over to the weeds. 

I have been gardening for the past ten years or more and really depend upon the produce to fill up my pantry for the coming winter, but this was one more thing that I had to put into God's hands when He told us to move and set up our ministry in Leavenworth.

As always, God is faithful.  For the past two weeks I have been consumed with canning.  Not from my own garden but from everyone elses.  It started last week when I was given bags of green beans.  In 24 hours I had 16 quarts of green beans canned.  Two days later I was invited to pick apples.  A few hours after that I was given three cases of apples and pears. Three days after that I was invited to pick a dozen tomatoes and came home with two boxes of tomatoes which resulted in 19 quarts.

My day started yesterday at 7 am finishing up the tomatoes.  The kids sat around the kitchen working on their math and language while I canned.  In fact, at one point both boys jumped in and helped with skinning the tomatoes which was a big help.  After lunch, my mother in law came over and helped me make apple sauce.  This was new to me but since we live in apple country (Wenatchee is the apple capitol of the world, at least they claim to be.) I figured we better learn.  She and I used an old food mill that we borrowed from the gal who gave us the MacIntosh Apples.  It was a lot of work but we got 6 quarts out of the first bunch. 

Todays task is canning pears. I am going to take break from canning on Wednesday, but on Thursday my mother in law is coming back to help me finish up the apples. 

To add to list we have also been given a dozen ears of corn, zucchini, green peppers, carrots, and more green beans.  I can't eat anything now days without singing God's praises for His provisions. God is Jehovah-Jireh, my Provider.

1 comment: